New government data analytics tool launches
Govalytics, a municipal government data analytics tool, was unveiled last week by Penton Media’s Public Infrastructure Group. Targeted to marketers selling services or products to local governments, the tool can also help municipalities compare their methods and processes with counterparts across the country.
The three main areas of Govalytics include:
Budgetary data analytics – tracks budgetary data from local governments including total expenditures, capital assets, long-term debt and budgets for the current year at the department level for accepted and actual budgets, providing an overall “bill of health” and operational efficiencies for each government.
Top city officials – includes contact information for nearly 25,000 city officials including mayors, councilmembers and emergency services personnel, and allows users to track changes in leadership.
Capital project data – covers project information for any current or future projects, from parking lot re-pavings to wastewater treatment overhauls. The tool includes projected yearly expenditures within each project, and will be available in Q1 of FY2014.
Data is organized into eight categories: Public Safety; Public Works; Utilities; Planning and Development; General Government/Judicial; Education; Health and Human Services; and Parks/Recreation/Culture.
Additionally, Govalytics provides users with key area statistics, procurement information, contract end dates, muni-bond ratings, revenue sources and recent news for each local government. Govalytics data is available in the top 25 Municipal Statistics Areas (MSA). They include:
- New York-Newark-Jersey City, N.Y.-N.J.-Pa.
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, Calif.
- Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, Ill.-Ind.-Wis.
- Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, Texas
- Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, Texas
- Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, Pa.-N.J.-Del.-Md.
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C.-Va.-Md.-W.Va.
- Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, Ga.
- Boston-Cambridge-Newton, Mass.-N.H.
- San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, Calf.
- Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif.
- Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, Mich.
- Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, Wash.
- Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Minn.-Wis.
- San Diego-Carlsbad, Calif.
- Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Fla.
- St. Louis, Mo.-Ill.
- Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, Md.
- Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, Colo.
- Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, N.C.-S.C.
- Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, Ore.-Wash.
- San Antonio-New Braunfels, Texas.
Govalytics will offer data for the top 50 MSAs in Q4 2013.
Register for a free limited version of Govalytics here.