New life for an old park
The San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department opened a newly renovated Hayes Valley Playground and Clubhouse in June, replacing the original facility built in the dense urban neighborhood in 1958. The 2,500-square-foot community center includes a playground, a large recreation room and a multi-use computer room.
The previous, outdated facility presented significant accessibility and safety issues. Visitors to the old playground had to enter through a maze of garbage cans to reach the play structure and run-down clubhouse. The new playground includes play areas for toddlers and school-age children; benches and picnic tables; a small performance stage; fitness equipment; and raised beds for community gardens. The fully equipped, sustainably designed clubhouse is the first Recreation and Parks building in San Francisco with a living roof and recycled denim insulation. It will provide after-school programs for young people and separate activities for adults.
The facility is the first of three sites in the city to be renovated as part of the locally based Trust for Public Land's (TPL) “Parks for People — San Francisco Initiative.” The initiative, supported by five local corporations and other private funders, is transforming worn-out parks into new community resources that promote neighborhood health and sustainability. The $3.9 million renovation of the Hayes Valley Playground and Clubhouse, designed by locally based WRNS Studio, also received funding from the City and County of San Francisco.