A local Lincoln
James Bennett, manager of the Newark, N.J., 311 Citizen Service Center, submitted this photo of the Essex County Courthouse, a place Abraham Lincoln visited twice while president. Completed in 1907, the building was designed by architect Cass Gilbert and features marble exterior and interior columns, a glass-domed roof, and ornately paneled courtrooms and offices. On either side of the main entrance are statues symbolizing “Truth” and “Power,” and over the pediment stand nine allegorical statues. In front of the courthouse is Gutzon Borglum’s celebrated statue of Abraham Lincoln in an informal pose, seated on a bench. It was dedicated in 1911 by President Theodore Roosevelt.