APWA names Top 10 public works professionals in North America
The Kansas City, Mo.-based American Public Works Association (APWA) has named the Top 10 Public Works Leaders of the Year for 2009. This year marks the 50th anniversary of the award and marks National Public Works Week, May 17-23.
Each Top 10 Public Works Leader will be recognized at a local event and during an awards ceremony as part of APWA’s International Congress and Exposition in Columbus, Ohio, Sept. 13-16. “These leaders are selected by a committee of peers for their professionalism, expertise and personal dedication to improving the quality of life in the communities they serve,” said APWA Executive Director Peter King in a statement. “They represent the best of our profession and are worthy of this high honor.”
Award recipients include:
- Wauwatosa, Wis., Director of Public Works William Kappel
- Golden, Colo., Public Works Director Dan Hartman
- Oakland, Calif., Director of Public Works Raul Godinez
- Branson, Mo., City Engineer David Miller
- Springfield, Mo., Assistant Director of Public Works/Traffic Engineer Earl Newman
- Kirkland, Wash., Public Works Director Daryl Grigsby
- Springfield, Mass., Water and Sewer Commission Executive Director Joseph Superneau
- Fort Worth, Texas, Director of Transportation and Public Works William Verkest
- Region of Halton, Ontario, Canada, Manager, Business and Infrastructure Services Linda Petelka
- Downers Grove, Ill., Senior Project Manager Nabi Fakroddin
View a list of the Top 10 recipients from 1960 to 2009 and more information on APWA’s National Awards Program.