High-Performance Roofing Checklist
While there are no established standards for the newly evolving category of High-Performance Roofing systems, there are key questions that building owners can ask to determine if a roofing system satisfies criteria under each of the Five E’s of HPRs.
HPR 1: Energy
- Does the roof meet ENERGY STAR criteria?
- Have you determined potential energy savings using EPA ENERGY STAR online calculator?
- Does the roof meet the ASHRAE 90.1 standard, making it eligible for Federal tax deductions?
- In California, does the roof meet the requirements of Title 24?
HPR 2a: Environment/External
- Is the roof certified by the ENERGY STAR Roofing Products Program?
- Does the roof earn points toward USGBC LEED credits?
- Is a system/material LCA available?
- Is a roof tear-off required?
- How many runs to the local landfill are needed with this roofing system?
- Is the roofing material recyclable?
- Does the roofing manufacturer have a recycling program?
HPR 2b: Environmental/Internal
- Does the roof system moderate temperatures in summer and winter, even w/o air conditioning?
- Does your roofing system provide one- or two-way ventilation?
HPR 3: Endurance
- What is the roofing manufacturer’s reputation? How many years in business?
- What is the range of service longevity for this type of roofing system with this manufacturer in this area? Other areas?
- Does the manufacturer inspect the roof after installation?
- Local references for manufacturer? Contractor?
- What is the roofing contractor’s reputation? How many years in business?
- Are contractor employees fully trained, supervised at job site?
- Does the manufacturer train, monitor, grade the contractor?
- What have been the primary reasons for system failure with this type of roof? How were they resolved?
- How long is the warranty?
- Does it cover the entire roofing system, including installation defects?
- Exclusions and fees in the warranty? (Ponding water? Free repair/replacement in case of failure? Consequential damages?
- Maintenance/repair: How often? How much? How easy? Local references?
HPR 4: Economics
- Can you provide an LCC analysis that includes installation costs, tear-off and disposal, estimated maintenance and repair and potential energy savings over the life of the roof?
- What are the estimated maintenance and repair costs per year?
- Does this roofing system require tear-off and disposal?
- Is this a custom pre-fabricated system that can be installed more quickly with less labor and reduced waste-related expenses?
HPR 5: Engineering
- Is this the best roofing system for my roof deck? My building? This climate?
- Has drainage been adequately designed to ensure water runoff?
- Does the roof meet all local roofing code specs?
- Is custom pre-fabrication an option?
- Are roof materials energy efficient, environmentally friendly, durable?
- Is the roofing material naturally fire resistant?
- Can you provide a wind calc for me?
- Is this a fully integrated roofing system that provides watertight performance while enhancing the performance of other building components?