County Saves, Realizes Return on Investment
Miami-Dade County’s (FL) court system, the fourth-largest traffic court system in the United States with more than 1.5 million drivers, processes more than 750,000 traffic cases each year. Prior to the implementation of electronic access to and storage of court documents, the Clerk of Courts Office used a paper-based document storage system. The manual processing resulted in case backlog, slow response time, human errors, and limited access to documents.
Today, FileNet Corporation’s Enterprise Content Management (ECM)-enabled Simultaneous Paperless Image Retrieval Information Technology (SPIRIT) system provides an automated system for case management—enabling a single point of access for judges, attorneys, and clerks to enter, retrieve, and update case data. Since the implementation, the Clerk of Courts has:
• Saved more than an estimated $23 million in operating costs, including $7 million in police officer overtime.
• Achieved an estimated internal rate of return of 59 percent.
• Reduced court front-counter wait time from two and a half hours to 20 minutes.
• Eliminated more than 3,500 cubic feet of document storage.
• Reduced total number of cases going to trial by 75 percent.
• Reduced case errors to less than one percent.
• Increased collection of court fines by an estimated $10 million annually.